Friday, March 7, 2014

2014 Pro Day Results: Ohio State LB Shazier, CB Roby, RB Hyde

from cleveland.com


COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ryan Shazier pulled up just after finishing his 40 at Ohio State's Pro Day on Friday, but only after doing what he needed to do. Shazier pulled his hamstring, after not running the 40 at the NFL Combine because of a tweaked hamstring.
But the 4.36 or 4.37 he laid down in front of about 70 NFL scouts and talent evaluators, including Philadelphia coach Chip Kelly, Minnesota coach Mike Zimmer, several general managers and many scouts, made his point.

"I'm not really concerned about it because I was trying to rush it back so I can for everybody, and they were telling me I shouldn't rush things," Shazier said. "I knew I wanted to run a 4.4, around there in that range, and I got what I wanted."

Combined with the 42-inch vertical leap at the NFL Combine, Shazier has done a lot to push himself into the first round said one member of an NFL staff who said he didn't believe Shazier was a first-rounder a month ago. Shazier, after hurting himself at the start of the day, didn't do any position drills. But that was OK.

"I'm really happy with what I did," Shazier said. "I feel I kind of did what everyone watted me to do. I definitely feel like I'm a first-round pick."
Shazier also weighed in at 237 pounds, and said the main question he gets is about keeping on weight. One scout said he expected Shazier to be in the 220s, so putting on this weight for the combine and pro day, and still showing speed and explosiveness, bodes well for him.

"I feel like I can gain 10 more pounds if I had to," Shaizer said. "I feel good right now."

Cornerback Bradley Roby, who already ran well at the combine with a 4.37, put down what a scout said was the other most impressive drill of the day, along with Shazier's 40. Roby put together about a 6.7 time in the 3-cone drill, and otherwise looked smooth in position drills, as he had in Indianapolis. 

That led one evaluator to conclude the the Buckeyes are most likely looking at two first-round picks when the NFL Draft kicks off on May 8 - Shazier and Roby.

The four other Buckeyes who were invited to the comine - running back Carlos Hyde, offensive linemen Corey Linsley and Jack Mewhort and receiver Corey Brown - also worked out. Hyde, who pulled his hamstring while running a 4.66 at the combine, did not run a 40, however.

Other Buckeyes like linemen Andrew Norwell and Marcus Hall, safeties C.J. Barnett and Corey Brown, kicker Drew Basil, receiver Chris Fields and former linebacker also ran, jumped and went through drills.

Safety Christian Brynant, still working back from a season-ending ankle injury, did not work out. He said he is feeling good but isn't quite at 100 percent, and he didn't want to workout until he was full-go. He said he hopes to possibly have another workout day at Ohio State later, when Hyde may also run.

No comments:

Post a Comment